World Championships 2007 Day Eleven

Tuesday, 8th May 2007

Monday's games saw the end of the relegation round and the last of the games to decide the quarter final line up.



This was a must win game for both teams with Austria needing the help of Latvia in the other match up against Norway to stay up. Any win for Ukraine would keep them in the Elite group.

The game took a familiar pattern with Ukraine getting themselves into penalty trouble, as they have done all tournament. Klymentiev went to his usual seat in the penalty box on 4:55 for hooking and Austria took full advantage by taking the lead at 6:16. Thomas Kock roofed a pass from the boards over the beaten Seliverstov for 1-0.

It became a 2 goal lead at 12:58, this time on a 5 on 3 advantage, with neat work around the offensive zone finished off in style by Kalt who one timed a shot from the face off circle into the net. 14:24 and another 5 on 3 for Austria with the same result. Philip Lukas actually scored twice. He hit a lovely shot from left of the goal which came back so fast the referee missed it. Play continued and he did exactly the same thing 20 seconds later. The referee went to the video box and awarded the first shot as a goal and put 20 seconds back on the clock. Ukraine were being punished for their usual indiscipline. However they pulled a goal back on 18:46 as Lyutkevych hit a slapper through the legs of Divis in the Austrian goal. End of the period and a 3-1 lead for Austria. Story of the period has to be the Ukraine indiscipline. 8 penalty minutes leading to 3 powerplay goals, two on 5 on 3 situations. Austria outshot Ukraine by 21 to 6 as they dominated the 20 minutes.

Ukraine changed goalie at the start of the second and brought in Fedorov for Seliverstov to try and change things. They pulled a goal back, again on a powerplay at 23:31 as Matvichuk centred to Bobkin who sent the puck past Divis. Two goals in just over a minute put the Austrians into an unassailable lead when firstly Thomas Koch scored his second goal of the game as a neat give and go play with Welser ended with Koch backhanding past Fedorov. 32 seconds later Philipp Lukas picked up a loose puck inside the Ukraine blue line and wristed one over Fedorov's glove. 27:58 and it was 6-2, Andre Lakos driving from the right point past the glove side of Fedorov. Three goals in just under 4 minutes was enough for Fedorov and Seliverstov was re instated in goal. He at least stopped any further leakage of goals for the remainder of the second. Ukraine actually pulled one back on 37:26 as Tsyrul jammed a rebound past Divis after a Bobkin shot. End of 40 minutes and 6-3 to Austria in a game they had to win to have any chance of avoiding relegation.

Austria scored again with only 2:59 of the third on the clock with Pewal and Peinter rushing the net and the latter took a neat pass from Pewal to score on the rebound off the skate of the unluck Lyutkevych. Peinter scored a genuine goal as he deked the keeper at 46:55 to make it 8-3. Ukraine pulled one back at 54:18 through Salnikov but were never going to pull back the Austrian lead.

This result relegated Ukraine and gave Austria hope as they waited for the result from the Norway v Latvia game. Any win for Latvia and the Austrians would be safe.


An important game for Norway as only a win would save them from relegation.Latvia had already secured their place in the top group for 2008.

Norway came out of the traps like a hurricane, believing they could win the game and stay up. Bastiansen gave Norway the lead on 3:38 and powerplay goals from Lund and Morten Ask made it 3-0 to the Norwegians after only 10:33. Latvia called a time out to try and steady the rocking ship. Whatever was said worked as firstly Vasiljevs scored from a neat feed by Cipulis at 16:09 and 91 seconds later the Latvians pulled the score back to 3-2 with a slapshot from the blue line by Galvins. End of the period and 3-2 to Norway.

Norway's powerplay again punished the Latvians with another 3 goals in the second period. Firstly at 27:30 Hansen scored by scooping a loose puck in front of the crease to make it 4-2.  A five minute major penalty after Rodrigo Lavins was ejected on a 5 plus game for a nasty hit to the head brought dividends with 2 goals in the 5 minute advantage. Bastiansen and Hansen both scored their second goals of the game to give Norway a 6-2 lead at 32:33. No further goals in the period and Norway were looking comfortable albeit a bit nervous.

With a 4 goal lead, Norway settled down to keep what they had and concentrated on defence for most of the third period. Latvia did score early in the period with a goal from Berzins to make it 6-3 but a goal from Bastiansen to give him a hat trick and a late marker from Semjonovs ended the scoring at 7-4 for Norway.

This result meant that despite a good win over Ukraine, Austria would return immediately back to Division 1. Ukraine took up the second relegation spot with Latvia and Norway heading to Canada in 2008.

Latvia finished the tournament in 13th place, Norway 14th, Austria 15th and the indisciplined Ukrainians a deserved 16th.




This game was a dead rubber in the group with the teams playing for positions only.

Denmark quickly jumped into the lead at 3:46, when, on the powerplay Tranholm tipped a Kim Staal shot past Carpano for 1-0.  37 seconds later it was 2-0 , Peter Regin scoring on a 2 on 1 break, taking a pass from Nielsen to score. 6:30 gone and Jens Nielsen became the third Nielsen to get on the scoresheet, scoring from a centre pass by Christensen. That was enough for Carpano and he was replaced by Guenther Hell at 6:51. The change worked in the fact that Italy did not leak any more goals, but they were unable to generate any offence in the game and the period ended with a 3-0 lead to Denmark.

Italy showed more fight in the second but could not find a way past Hirsch in the Danish goal. They did score after 30:47 as De Bettin marked to make it 3-1 and found some confidence to score a second with four minutes left on the period to make it 3-2 as Ramoser scored from close in. Denmark outshot Italy 13-4 in the period but it was the Italians that scored twice. End of the second and it is Denmark 3 Italy 2.

Denmark controlled the third period and Olsen scored to make it 4-2 after 49:04 by deflecting a pass from Dresler past Hell. Mads Christensen scored a fifth for Denmark at 55:29 to complete the scoring. With just under 3 minutes to Morten Green picked up a 5 plus game for a high stick that drew blood from Jason Cirone. However, Italy were unable to break the Danish defence and the game finished 5-2.


A real battle of the heavyweights thrilled a capacity crowd at the Khodynka Arena as the teams tussled for top dog status in the group.

Russia started the strongest and created a couple of chances, but it was Sweden who took the lead on 8:43 on the powerplay. Martensson skated towards goal and centred a pass that bounced off Thornberg's leg into the net. The referee went to the video box to see if there was a deliberate kick but the goal stood.

Russia were convinced they had equalised three minutes later as Kovalchuk slotted the puck home but referee Pellerin again went to the video review and chalked the goal off for a man in the crease. With 17:39 gone Russia were awarded a somewhat dubious penalty shot as Pellerin decided Stralman tripped Kharitonov on the break. The tournament top scorer took the shot and easily deked to the backhand and lifted the puck into the net off the inside of the crossbar. End of 20 minutes and a thrilling 1-1 game.

The first chance of the second period fell to Stralman, who nearly scored in the first minute but his cross shot hit the post and the back of Eremenko before Emelin got a stick on the puck to clear off the line.  23:27 into the period, Russia took the lead. The Red Machine raced into the Swedish zone as Grebeshkov hit a rebound home after a Malkin shot came off the goalie's pads. Russia thought they had taken a two goal lead five minutes later when Tarnstrom mishit a pass that was picked up by Malkin who fired the puck high into the net. This time the goal was chalked off for offside. The game became very chippy as Pellerin struggled to keep control and it was the Swedes who took the brunt of some near the mark challenges by the Russians. Sweden equalised on 38:32. Backstrom took the puck behind the net and threw the puck into the centre and Steen hit the puck as he was falling, just getting enough on the puck to beat Eremenko. Another excellent period of hockey and a 2-2 scoreline. All to play for in the third.

Sweden almost took the lead early in the final period when Hornqvist skated into the slot and shot quickly but wide of the goal with Eremenko well beaten. The game went end to end for the next 10 minutes and Russia made the breakthrough at 49:51 with a goal from Evgeny Malkin. The exciting NHL'er took a pass from Frolov in the high slot and he one timed a howitzer that flew past Ersberg. Russia added the insurance goal on 56:33 when the Kazan line again scored. Zinoviev picked up the puck in the corner and spotted his Kazan team mate Morozov flying into the slot. A perfect pass was met and one timed into the net for 4-2. This was Morozov's 8th goal of the tournament. Sweden pulled the goalie in the final minute to give them a 6 on 4 advantage but Russia coped with everything to notch an important win.

A superb game of hockey with both teams taking a lot from the game and into the quarter finals.  Russia top the group with Sweden second. Finland end up 3rd and the last qualifying spot goes to Switzerland.  Denmark finish the competition in 10th place and Italy 12th.



This game might have been a dead rubber but both teams served up a goal fest for the sparse crowd.

Belarus put Germany under relentless pressure in the first minutes of the game and took the lead at 1:07. Meleshko scored assisted by Kostyuchenok and Koltsov. The German team have proved resilient in the competiton and equalised on 5:50 when Gogulla picked up a turnover and passed to Hackert to score. Alexander Barta made it 2-1 at 12:08 as he took a pass across the crease from Felski and beat Mezin on the short side. Germany added a third goal at 17:53 on the powerplay when Dietrich scored from a Hackert pass. Belarus pulled one back with a minute left in the period as Kotlsov spun round and made a backhand pass to Kulakov to make it 3-2 at the break.

Belarus found themselves in penalty trouble in the second and Germany took a two goal advantage on the first of two 5 on 3 opportunities at 25:19 when Sven Felski scored assisted by Ancicka. Belarus managed to defend the second one and then scored two quick goals of their own to even the score once again. Hackert turned the puck over at centre ice as he tried to pass to the wing.The puck hit Dudik who controlled the puck and raced off to beat Patzold with a low shot. With 13:43 on the cloc the teams were even as Koltsov re directed a pass from Leontiev to score. End of the 2nd and a 4-4 scoreline. Not bad for a meaningless game.

Germany took the lead once again at 45:24 when Hackert passed from behind the net to Michael Wolf to score. Germany then sat back to defend their lead and allow Belarus to come at them. That plan went out the window at 52:46 when a Kostyuchenko slapshot went upstairs on Patzold to tie the game at 5-5. Germany came straight back and a minute later scored the winner with Michael Wolf scoring his second of the game. Gogulla picked up a loose puck on a turnover and fed Wolf who wristed a low shot past Mezin. The game finished 6-5 and both teams must take credit for entertaining the crowd in a goal feast.


The final game in group F would decide who topped the group and avoid Finland in the quarter finals.

Canada shocked their neighbours with one of the fastest goals ever seen in a World Championship game when they scored with only 8 seconds on the clock. Mclement won the opening face off and played the puck back to Commodore who quickly passed through the middle. The puck was touched by Mayers back to Mclement who blasted a shot past John Grahame. The Canadians kept up the pressure and scored again on the first powerplay of the game. 2:05 was on the clock when Staal passed to Cammalleri who roofed the puck for 2-0. Relentless Canadian pressure told again at 12:48 as Nash fed the puck to Lombardin who chipped the puck over the sprawling Grahame. A face off win by Staal in the USA zone brought the fourth goal of the period as he got the puck to Hamhuis who's shot from the point was deflected into the net by Cammalleri. USA called a time out to try and bring some order to the shell shocked team and at least they kept the score to 4 by the end of the period. After 20 mins Canada lead 4-0 having outshot the Americans by 17 to 7. 

USA got on the board midway through the second as a long range shot by Backes was stopped by Ward. Paul Stastny was in position to slot the rebound home for 4-1. Canada hit back on 35:19 when Lombardi let one go from the blue line to beat Grahame. Stempniak scored for USA to make it 5-2 on 37:49 and that ended the scoring in the second period.

USA changed goalies at the start of the third with Jason Bacashihua coming on for Cam Ward. He made a few good saves early on but was unable to do anything about Canada's 6th goal at 51:58 when Lombardi blasted a loose puck home for his 3rd goal of the game. Paul Stastny hit a consolation for USA a minute later to make the score 6-3. No further goals and an easy win for Canada.

Canada top the group with USA finishing 2nd. Slovakia surprised everyone to finish 4th and the Czech Republic can count themselves lucky to scrape into the quarters, just pipping Germany to the last slot.

Germany finish the competition in 9th place, a remarkable feat, having only just been promoted from Division 1. Belarus finish 11th in the rankings.

Rest day Tuesday before the knockout competition gets under way. Russia take on Czech Republic and Sweden play Slovakia on Wednesday. Canada v Switzerland and USA v Finland complete the quarters on Thursday.

I am using the rest day to go and see Bryan Adams, see you Wednesday.