Phoenix mauled by Wildcats

Saturday, 27th March 2010

Swindon Wildcats 10 - 2 Manchester Phoenix

Both teams went into Saturdays' full-house game in the Swindon Link Centre with very definite playoff aspirations - Swindon to qualify for the post-season and Phoenix to give themselves a chance to finish in third place in the table.

An even opening twenty minutes saw both goalies see plenty of the puck and giving up too many rebounds, but with neither set of forwards appearing keen to follow in and make the most of such chances. The only goal of the session went the way of the home side on a powerplay with Andre Mattsson in the penalty box, Richardson finishing approach work from Nell and Krajicek. Phoenix had a late powerplay of their own, but couldn't find a way past Douglas in the home goal.

Phoenix needed only ninety seconds of the second period for Tony Hand to feed Adam Walker for the equalising goal, but from that point on, Swindon gathered momentum as the Phoenix defence failed too often to clear their zone. Nell regained the lead for the home side in the 24th minute before Jozef Hohut scored the first of his brace in the 32nd minute. Steve Fone was much the busier goalie and when Hohut added his second in the 36th minute, the home crowd were in raptures of delight.

If the first two periods were disappointing for the Phoenix, the final session was nothing short of calamitous as the Wildcats added six further markers to reach double figures with only a second goal of the game for Adam Walker to give the huge travelling support anything to cheer. Cassells made it 5-1 before Walker capitalised on assists from Robert Lachowicz and Hand just past the 48-minute mark, but from that point on, it was all Swindon. Nell bagged his second of the game five minutes later before Raimand Danilics scored easily at the back door in the 55th minute. Nell duly completed his hat-trick less than sixty seconds later and Phoenix chose that moment to replace Steve Fone with Adam Summerfield in goal. The Congleton-based goalies' first task though was to fish the 'Cats ninth goal from his net as Matt Foord scored on a powerplay. And the home side hit double figures in the 59th minute, Cassells notching his second of the game before the final hooter thankfully brought the suffering to an end.

Phoenix player coach Tony Hand commented, "To say I am extremely disappointed tonight is a massive understatement. We defended poorly, gave up too many rebounds and loose pucks and without taking anything away from Swindon, we gifted them at least six goals. I want to say sorry to all the supporters who travelled a long way today, we've let them down badly tonight."

Adam Walker

Adam Walker scored both Phoenix goals.

Manchester Phoenix Community Sports Foundation

Sign up for the Phoenix Newsletter

Manchester Phoenix Supporters Club