Manchester Phoenix 0 - Basingstoke Bison 3

Sunday, 30th October 2011

Manchester Phoenix 0 - Basingstoke Bison 3

J Davidson sponsored Manchester Phoenix took on the Basingstoke Bison in a rematch of Saturday’s contest that ended with a 5-2 road win. Phoenix were still missing Jaroslav Spelda and Ladislav Harabin and John Connolly made his home debut.

Phoenix came out strong in the first period and tested Colclough in the Bison goal with 4 shots in the first 5 minutes. However, Bison took the lead after 10:22 with a short handed goal from Joe Miller assisted by Daniel Volrab. Phoenix continued to press but were unable to get the puck into the twine and the period ended 1-0 to the Bison.

The second period was end to end with neither team able to beat the goalie. Phoenix lost Ryan Johnson to a match penalty for accidental high sticks at 37:14 and had to finish the period on the penalty kill. Phoenix held out but will still be a man down for the first 2:15 of the third. End of two periods still 1-0 to Bison.

Bison doubled their lead with just 33 seconds gone in the third period as Steve Moria scored on the powerplay. The away side finished off the scoring on 40:33 when Viktor Kubenko scored on a short handed breakaway. Phoenix tried hard to get back into the game but Bison held out to revenge their defeat from Saturday night.

Man of the Match awards went to Tom Duggan for Phoeinx and Matt Colclough for Bison.

Luke Boothroyd

Luke Boothroyd patrols the blue line
(Image: Richard Allan)

New signing John Connolly

John Connolly covers the crease
(Image: Richard Allan)

Tony Hand and Steve Moria

Tony Hand and Steve Moria, hockey veterans
(Image: Richard Allan)

Tom Duggan in front of the Bison net

Tom Duggan denied in front of the Bison net
(Image: Richard Allan)

Referee Wardell sends off Ryan Johnson

Referee Wardell sends off Ryan Johnson for accidental high sticks
(Image: Richard Allan)

Nicky Chinn celebrates the third goal

Nicky Chinn celebrates the Bison's third goal
(Image: Richard Allan)