Barons scrap out a win over the Metros

Monday, 23rd January 2012

Solihull Barons 5 Trafford Metros 4

On Sunday the Metros’ took to the road to face bottom of the table Solihull Barons, who they faced a week earlier and managed a draw with, Metros had all intension of taking 2 points back north up the M6 but the resurging Baron’s had other ideas, but as always is when you travel to Solihull there are talking points.

The night didn’t start well when in warm up starting net minder Paul Maudsley took a puck to the underside of his blocker hand and we feared the worst but thankfully Paul was able to take his place between the pipes. When the puck was dropped though thing got even worse for the Metros’ as after just 30 second they were behind to a move up the middle of the ice by the Baron’s. Then the Metros’ kicked in and started playing and dominating the majority of the possession in the first and getting a lot more shots on the net than the Baron’s, until one of those talking points happened, the Solihull Captain Adam Andrews had a problem with John Murray for some reason of which no one had seen John do anything to upset the Solihull Captain, so as the Metros were breaking out of the zone John picked up the puck in the defensive zone and started to skate down the right wing when Andrews decided to two handed tomahawk style slash to John’s right thigh, right in front of the referee, needless to say John was injured and for Andrews, he received the gate, a match penalty for his troubles, which was later downgraded to a game as John returned to the game but not until the second period though. In the result power play the Metros tied it up through Sean Day who netted a rebound in front from a shot by Max Drakeley. That would be it for the period as the teams went in level.

The second started like the first Solihull made a move up the middle and scored from it after only 50 seconds, not good and a theme was appearing. But yet again the Metros’ regrouped and sought to bring their physical grinding game to the table which has brought them a lot of success so far this year and 4 minutes later they were rewarded as Tom Gilbert found the puck in deep in the Solihull zone and took a shot on net the rebound came out to Robyn Crebbin in the slot who off balance and falling over took a quick wrist shot to find the twine behind the Solihull keeper, 2-2 Metros back in the game yet again but this time it was the Baron’s who yet again fought back and were dominating the physical aspect of the game which rarely happens to the Metros’, and they were rewarded with two more goals in quick succession, yet a again with skate and offload move up the middle of the ice. So to the break and the Baron’s lead 4-2.

So into the third and the Metros’ would have to up their game to get back into this one, but after only 3 minutes yet another talking point, this time the Solihull Assistant Captain Luke Thomas decided he knew how to hit people and how wrong he was, Joe Greaves was carrying the puck from his own zone when Thomas decided to perform what can only be describe as the most disgusting knee hits I have ever seen and with clear intent to injure a Joe, Joe was in serious pain on the ice and couldn’t feel his leg and had to be helped off the ice into the locker room. For his actions Thomas also received the gate Match penalty for kneeing and a damning referees report to go with it I hope as far as I’m concerned he should received at least a three game ban for his clear intent to injure a fellow hockey player, cheap dirty low knee hit there is no room for it in hockey and he is a disgrace to the sport. On the resulting power play Metros’ hit back with a sublime finish from Max Drakeley who received the puck in the high slot and found the top corner where ‘momma keeps the cookies’ the assists going to Jake Nurse and Sean Day. After the goal Metro’s called time out and regrouped and they did they brought their game again on the 54 minute mark they had tied it up again as Tom Revesz found the Net from close in with assists going to Alex Pugh and Tom Gilbert. But Yet again the Baron’s retook the lead and it only took them 7 seconds from the draw yet again with a straight up the middle move. The game would finish 5-4 Barons, but as for the Baron’s ‘senior’ player I hope the book gets thrown at them there is no room for there deliberate intent to injure players in this league. Next up the final meeting between the Metros’ and the Hawks this time at the ice dome, the Metros cannot be defeated in the league series as they have the 2-1 edge over the Hawks but the Metros want to make it 3-1 and for those phoenix fans who aren’t travelling to Bracknell come down to watch what promises to be a physical encounter.



Sean Day 1+1, Max Drakeley 1+1, Robyn Crebbin 1+0, Tom Revesz 1+0, Tom Gilbert 0+2, Jake Nurse 0+1, Alex Pugh 0+1

PIM’s: Metros’ 8 Baron’s 54

Shots: Metros on Barons 35 Barons on Metros’ 36