Four points in two nights as Phoenix win in Bracknell

Sunday, 2nd March 2014

Bracknell Bees 1 - Manchester Phoenix 5

Phoenix scorers: Frantisek Bakrlik x 2, Robert Schnabel, Robin Kovar and Ben Wood.

J Davidson sponsored Manchester Phoenix made it two wins out of two on the road in successive nights as the Altrincham outfit pick up the pace in their quest for the EPL title.

Phoenix suffered a heavy defeat at the Hive last time out and they were determined it would not happen again as they started brightly. However, as Frankie Bakrlik sat out at slashing call in the second minute, the Bees took the lead with a Shaun Thompson goal on the powerplay. Phoenix re-grouped and slowly gained the initiative and it was no surprise when they equalised on 12.24 with a Bakrlik strike. Assists went to Joe Graham and Michal Psurny. Three minutes later a trademark Robert Schnabel belter from the blue line found its way past Alex Mettam in the Bees net to put the visitors 2-1 up. There was still time for Bracknell to push for the equaliser on their third power play of the period but the Phoenix defence stood firm and went to the first break with the one goal lead.

Phoenix went back on the penalty kill 11 seconds into the second period as Frankie Bakrlik sat out his third minor of the game. He must have been thinking the referee didn’t like him. As in the last three advantages for the Bees, Phoenix kept control and weathered the storm. Phoenix’s fast breaking attacking style was causing the home side problems and it was no surprise when Bakrlik scored his second of the evening on 26.27 with a delayed penalty goal, assisted by Robin Kovar.  3-1 to the visitors at the end of the second period in a game they controlled for most of the 20 minutes.

Phoenix continued to play the perfect road game in the third period and stretched their lead on 46.43 when Robin Kovar found the net, assisted by Jacob Heron and James Archer. Three minutes later, Ben Wood put the icing on the cake with a shot from the blue line and Phoenix closed the game out in the last ten minutes to take two well earned points. Michal Psurny was given an assist on the goal.

Jacob Heron deservedly picked up our Man of the Match but it was difficult to pick anybody out from a great team performance

A happy Coach Hand commented after the game:

“I thought we played very well tonight against a side that can be formidable on their own big ice pad. Credit to the Bees, they never gave up and kept pressure on us throughout. We are on a tough schedule and two road wins in two nights is just reward for the team’s efforts.”