Rink round-up

Monday, 17th October 2005

Our look back over the past week's action starts in Nottingham last Thursday, where the Panthers played host to the Newcastle Vipers.  The Vipers were heading into the National Ice Centre on the back of a five-game winning streak, and their confidence was boosted when Dave Longstaff opened the scoring for the visitors inside of four minutes. The lead was short-lived, however, with Brandon Cote bringing the scores level just after the ten minute mark, and Dan Tessier put the Panthers in the driving seat just before the first interval.  Former Manchester Storm forward Joe Cardarelli extended the lead to two goals in the second period, and despite pressure from the Vipers Nottingham were able to hold out to take the game 3-1.  Andre Payette and Brandon Cote did the handbag dance in the third, each earning a two minute rest in the sin bin.

Saturday's action saw a closely fought game down in Basingstoke with the Bison hosting Cardiff Devils.  Greg Chambers opened the scoring for the home team in the first period only for Vezio Sacratini to find the net on the powerplay to tie the game up going into the first interval.  Phil Hill put the visitors ahead in the 26th minute, but Jim Shepherd retied the scoreline a minute and a half later.  It was the Devils who went into the second interval in the lead, through Sacratini's second of the night.  The Bison came out strong at the start of the third, finding the net through Doug Sheppard after only 49 seconds.  Bison Coach Mark Bernard was pleased with the tie, saying "It was a very good hockey game tonight.  We had to keep chasing but we came back well and we had the better of them in the third period.  Jayme Platt looked strong in his first game for us."

Belfast Giants delivered a text-book whumping to Edinburgh Capitals at the Odyssey Arena on Saturday night, taking the Scottish team apart with an 11-2 scoreline.  The game saw an impressive debut by ex-NHLer Theoren Fleury, who opened the scoring for the Giants and followed up with a second goal, all within four minutes of the start of the game.  Travis Lisabeth found the net to keep the Caps in the game at 2-1, only for Giants player-coach Ed Courtenay to net thirteen seconds later.  Steve O'Brien put the scoreline at 4-1 on the powerplay, and the Giants went into the first interval with a comfortable lead.  This lead was extended with a brace of goals from Shawn Skiehar early in the second before Edinburgh pulled another goal back through Martin Cingel.  Fleury completed his hat-trick, and three more goals from the Giants put the game at 10-2 going into the second interval.  The third period saw one further Belfast goal, which triggered a brawl which resulted in Jason Bowen and Fredrik Oduya being ejected from the game.  Final score 11-2 to the Giants.

Sheffield Steelers took on Nottingham Panthers on Saturday night in Elite League competition, with the opening period remaining scoreless. Joe Cardarelli capitalised on a powerplay early in the second period to give the Panthers the lead, only for Kent Simpson to post a solo effort five minutes later.  Dan Tessier then pounced to take the lead a minute later, and then added a second towards the end of the second period.  A scoreless third saw the game end at 1-3 to the visiting Panthers.

Sunday's action saw Cardiff Devils at home to Belfast Giants, and the home team notched up the opener through Mike Garrow.  Mark Richardson made it two nil after thirteen minutes, and the two goal lead lasted until halfway through the second period when Ed Courtenay put the Giants on the board.  Louis Goulet extended the Devils' lead to 3-1 but a pair of goals in quick succession from Curtis Huppe drew the game level, and with the overtime period not providing a game-breaker the fixture ended at three goals apiece.  Devils Coach Ed Patterson was disappointed with the result, saying "We deserved to win, it was a great effort by our guys tonight, I can't say enough about how the guys worked.  Belfast have a great team, I said before they are one of the better teams in the league and it's a tight league this year.  There is never a home advantage in hockey especially with two quality teams like tonight.  But this felt like a loss, we deserved to win, we worked hard and the guys did exactly what was asked of them."

London Racers notched up a home win over Sheffield Steelers on Sunday after a game that remained goalless until the 32nd minute, when Kent Simpson found the net for the visitors.  Trevor Baker netted the equaliser in the 46th minute, and the score remained deadlocked until the fourth minute of overtime when Scott Wray put the biscuit in the basket to take the win, 2-1 after overtime.

Newcastle took a trip up to Edinburgh to take on the Capitals, who were still smarting from their drubbing the previous night at the hands of Belfast.  Simon Leach became the first player to make it onto the game report, not for a goal but for an ejection for checking to the head.  A goalless first period gave way to the second, and a marker from Martin Cingel put the home team ahead just after the half-hour mark.  Andre Payette opened the scoring for the visitors early in the third period, and Karl Culley popped the cookie in the jar for the game winner ten minutes later.  Final score Edinburgh 1 Newcastle 2.

by Richard Allan